Monday, July 27, 2009

Day 36 Washaba to Harpers Ferry


110/2336/1627 Beau sleeps to 6a! Good nights sleep then leave around 7. Stop at the local Mart and get a bagel and coffee. When I come out there are four touring cyclists there, one (John) going from NYC to Vancouver, the other three doing a two week tour before starting jobs post college. I ask John how much his bike and gear weigh, he says 12 stone,,,,,a Brit. Beautiful cool morning in the 60's and powder blue sky. Have new paved road and cross/tailwind for next 60 miles. Stop in Homer for a break and chat with some want to be retirees and give them by five minute how to speak. They were very grateful, so maybe I should finish by e-book on how to do it......I ride along again until the detour which takes me around I90, where a cyclist in his pickup tells me there is a bike path along I90 so that I don't have to go 10 miles out of my way! Great quaint bikepath along the Mississippi and stands of old oak trees. Come into La Crescent and have a sandwich at the local gas/mart with Suz as we can't find the Subway. Head back along the Scenic River road and have a great ride with some tailwind and some hills now. Suz gets to Lansing and finds no rooms available and no campgrounds so we decide to roll on to Harpers Ferry, another 10 miles along. We get a motel room at the only motel, quiet and comfy but no Wifi, so we play cards and watch one of three channels . Dinner at Buck and Bulls Bar and Grille then back for more cards and route planning. We are considering cutting across Illinois to save time but need to do some planning and maybe experiment off our cycle maps to see how that works. We may find ourselves on bad roads with no places to stay......we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment