Sunday, July 12, 2009

Day 21 Lewiston to Jordan


78/1157/3207 Slept in till 7a, somehow Beau did not wake up today! We do coffee from the Lobby and I browse the newspaper for a few, then get the van loaded. Suz will wait for a post office to open then catch me in the next town about 55 miles along. Nice weather again and there are some 60 year old kids outside at the motel playing with their raked hogs with no mufflers as I leave on my quiet bicycle. Ride for half a mile and pass a sign saying this is he geographical center of North America. Ride some low hills for the first twenty and rolling hills after until I hit Winette and stop at the general store . Chat with some bikers outside for awhile and Suz pulls in about 10 minutes and we talk to some local farmers inside about our trip and other things to save the world. They are very friendly and helpful. When I take off an old guy standing on the back of a tractor gets my attention as he looks like the grim reaper in blue jeans driving a tractor with a front loader of hay. I ride on to the Taj Mahal of rest stops, another 35 miles where Suz meets me for a break. The locals say it cost 3 million, has more stalls than will ever be used, air conditioned and very large. Lots of locust out today. Have to ride with your mouth closed and they stick in the helmet and on your legs. In spots the road is covered with them. Also some type of biting fly on and off in area where I am climbing hills and not going too fast. On to Jordan for the night. Little shabby motel in a little shabby town. We stay in and have sandwiches and watch TV. The Van alarm goes off at 2:20a, but we don't see anyone and reset it, but then have a rough time getting back to sleep.


Jim, Suzanne and Beau

No comments:

Post a Comment