Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Day 18 Lincoln to Great Falls




88 miles, the first 30 up and over the continental divide. Plaque also said this is the coldest spot in the USA, sub zero's all winter and it was 43 in July when I rode by. After the mountain pass I thought I was home free as the map looks like downhill all the way to Great Falls, NOT! There were about 45 miles of rolling hills with steep descents and equally steep climbs, good 6% grades, so it was slow going up, but I still averaged 15mph overall. Saw some deer today and a dead rattlesnake on the side of the road. Wondered what I would do if I saw a Grizzly as there is a large bear population here, but I doubt they come close to the roads. Stopped in Fort Shaw which was the first place out of Lincoln that was open at mile 62 for lunch with Suzanne. A retired farmer whose dentures made him a little hard to understand, chatted with us about the area and his life, then bought us lunch. His contribution to the great ride across America. Nice little cafe and again great food, the beef here is really good, all Angus beef steers. The steers all stop grazing as I ride by and watch me pass, all of them, usually all at once, a little comical to see. Now that I am over the continental divide, the hills should get smaller I think and I may be able to pick up my daily mileage. 88 miles with hills is about all I can do now .


88/925/3351 Today/Done/2go




Jim, Suz and Beau

No comments:

Post a Comment