Friday, July 24, 2009

Day 3 Royalton to Cambridge Mn


86/2069/1984 Half Way! Today we broke the halfway barrier in Cambridge Mn. Poor sleep last night in the Twin Lakes Campground. Combination of bright security light, train noise, rain storms and 10,000 flies kept us up most of the night. Beau is up at 6a, so so are we. Have picnic table coffee then off for the day. Overcast and cool start. I see rain off in the distance so resign myself to get wet soon, but it doesn't happen. It's five miles back to Royalton to the bike route on rte 10 or I can make my way across the sideboards , so that is what I try, hoping not to get lost. I make it fine to route 26 and save a couple of miles in the process. Quiet start and there is a biplane barnstorming over the fields to the north, interesting to watch in the early morning sun. Along the way on old spotted coon dog ambushes me , I never saw him and he nearly gets a nip on my ankle before he poops out. Another mile up the road I smell bacon cooking at a farmhouse and my stomach rumbles in response. Breakfast today was a protein bar in camp and an apple on break later. The country roads are rough and cracked and my shoulders and neck are getting sore from the pounding continually. I would not be surprised if i have lost a few filling in my teeth from all the rattling the past few days. Bad roads are getting to be the worst part of the day, replacing the high hills in the Rockies. Bad roads slow you down and you have to pick your way among the cracks and pot holes while watching the traffic in your mirror. More dogs along the way, some just look but a collie mutt would have caught me if she didn't have an acre front yard to cover. Bad Lassie!! Suz finds a nice motel in Cambridge with Wifi and we send out our half way email with picture . We visit the local Applebee's and have a steak dinner to celebrate. Rain in the forecast so my weather luck may be running out.

No comments:

Post a Comment