Friday, July 24, 2009

Day 34 Cambridge to Stillwater NC


65/2134/1829 Rain! Beau is up at 4:52 am and it is raining lightly. He then wakes at 6:15a for breakfast . I have to go to the van to get his food, so I get wet and decide to stay up and see if the rain stops soon. Check the wunderkind radar and see that the front with lightning storms will pass within the hours so I settle for the newspaper and the continental breakfast from the hotel and take my time to get ready. Overcast but lightning and rain stop by 8a so I am off. I decide to deviate from the map and try MN 95 all the way to Stillwater and It is a good decision. First 20 is newly paved and a great ride. Route goes through some quaint towns and follows the Mississippi river most of the way, Wisconsin is on the other side of the river all the way. I left the camera off bike today due to rain so a few things I cannot shoot. See a sign at a coffee shop in North Branch that says " Spend Stimulus Money Here" , money for caffeine stimulus? Also pass a neat little museum of metal sculptures along the way, a few acres of metal sculptures. Will not forget the camera in the future, will take the ziploc for rain. Ride into Stillwater after a few steep hill surprises and find that this weekend is LumberJack Days Festival, so hope the motels are not full. Call Suz and she has procured a super 8 room for a premium price, but that is all there is here. The weather has cleared and my luck has held, no rain today on the ride and it is clearing by the hour. Hope the wind from the front dies down as it is coming from the south and that is my direction tomorrow. Will spend the afternoon planning the next 400 miles to Muscatine Iowa before dinner. Will try to do 100 miles per day next four days to see how I feel, so far I am not tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment