Monday, July 20, 2009

Day 30 Cooperstown to Fargo


96/1793/2260 Early start with a coffee stop at the Cooperstown gas station/market. The good ole boys forecast no rain today but the newspaper says 40% chance, hope the good ole boys are right. Headwind again but not as strong as yesterday. Weave through wheat fields and see the first long fields of corn and soybean. So lots of turns through the back roads, so I see wheat, wheat, wheat, wheat, farmhouse, wheat, wheat, corn, wheat, soybeans , wheat then a sign for Missile silo : November 33 ! Right off the road, picture above, not expecting to see a missile silo, marked right off the road in the middle of a wheat field. Well, after all that wheat, anything would surprise me! Almost expecting to see peanut butter and jelly fields to go with all that bread. Ride to Arthur, ND for a great lunch at Kelly's cafe, Suz meets me there , she passes me 1.5 miles before there. Whilst we eat, the skies open and it rains hard with some lightning. I start out again with jacket on, but it stops almost immediately and off with the jacket. Lots of turns with more rain threatening. There is some construction on County 4 and I end up taking the road in the wrong direction, the east/west are not marked. So I go 11 miles out of my way. Skirt the thunderstorms and don't get wet. Suz comes and picks me up at the end into Fargo just as the skies open up. After Fargo we head South to Stillwater in Minnesota, a four day trek but looks like more places to stop in the 80-90 mile per day range. At 80 miles per day, we have 28 more days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment