Saturday, July 18, 2009

Day 26 New Town to Minot, ND


69/1492/2872

Late start from the RV park. Sign posted on the bathroom says closed 7-730 a for cleaning, so we are slowed in our morning routine. Of course, no one cleaned the bathrooms at 7a.....finally ready and the camp host chats for a long time about the ride and wishes us well. 2 miles back to the route and it is cold this morning, low 40's and I have jacket and gloves on......for first two hours, windy so wind chill might be into the high 30's. Some small hills all the way to SR 83 over farmland and lots more wheat and hay. Turn toward Minot for last 16 miles into gigantic headwind that knocks speed down to 11 mph tops and less working up the hills. Make my way to Days Inn where the room is not ready, and Suz tells me the wind picked up the driver door and bent it and buckled the front fender. So....we look in the yellow pages and find an auto body shop close by. Drive over and the owner ( Hutchinson Auto Body) is a Harley Biker and tells us it will be a cash only deal, so I cringe and wait for the hit. Then he says it will be anywhere from 30 to 60 dollars to get the door functional again, so I say go for it. We walk Beau and come back and he is almost done with the pry bar and pneumatic wrenches, he shows me the stress fracture and we chat about the ride and he only charges us $20 for 30 minutes work and we are on our way. Get back to the motel and our room is ready! Tonight we dine at the local wings place, but I am disappointed as I thought I could get a good salad, but they only have the standard fried food. Back to the motel and get and update on Tour de France, Lance is in #3 spot. TV and rest tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment