Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Shenandoah National Park Hike Day 1

A beautiful day on the Appalachian Trail with Hike'n Bear. The temperature started out in the 50's but warmed slowly to the mid 60's, perfect hiking weather. Suz dropped me off at Turk's Gap and I hiked back to Rockfish Gap, about 14miles , lots of hills and rocks, climbs and decents of about 1-2000 feet all the way. Met 14 hikers on the trail, the first, Spencer, a Brit hiking to Harpers Ferry. He also had a hiking bear on his pack, named TAD, so I introduced TAD to Hike'n for a short conversation before resuming our hike. As I am going N>S in 15 mile increments, I may run into some of these same hikers again over the next week as they ALL were hiking S>N. Met two young kids, going to start college next fall doing a through hike, boy they looked young and when we parted I wished them a safe hike and they both piped up at the same time : "Thank You Sir"! That made me feel instant old.......went up the next hill noticably slower.
The forest are in spring bloom so the moss is emerald green and the tree leaves are bright green that sparkle in the dappled sunshine that makes it way through the forest canopy. White dogwood and lavender mountain laurel splash color all about the scene , dangerous beauty if you don't watch the roots and rocks on the trail. Stubbed my toes quite a few times , thank god for those reinforced hiking boots and my trekking poles that keep me from stumbling down a goat path head over heals when distracted by the moving scenery.
Our camera is busted, so after todays hike we will seek out a replacement so that I can capture some of this scenery for the blog and future memories. I do have with me a well used disposable that has six shots left on the meter. I have used this same disposable all year on short hike and bike rides, so not sure if they will come out, but will get them developed digitally today and will post anything that may come out good. Took a candid shot of Hike'n Bear taking a nap on the Shenandoah Park Sign while I was preping my pack, stay tuned.
Ran into lots of older hikers, so if you are over 60, don't despair of hiking, one couple today looked into their 80's and were hiking the entire Shenandoh Park about 105 miles of trails.
Ran into JJ about 3 miles from Rock Fish Gap. Had a somewhat long chat with him....he had to be over 300 pounds with a huge gut that counterbalanced his huge pack! I found him leaning against an outcropping of rock that was holding his pack weight, he was panting and looked a little chalky pale. I helped him find the water nozzle to his hydration pack. He said he did not want to take the pack off as it was too hard to put back on. He said it only weighed 40 pounds, but it looked a good 60 or more to me......no wonder he looked pooped. I will probably see him tommorrow hiking south if he makes it the 10 miles north into my next section hike.
Met a young cyclist touring through the park on his Surly Touring bike. We chatted at the visitors center after inquiring there where the nearest food stops were. He is heading from DC to Seattle over the next three months. Told him about our upcoming Cross country ride and he said : Train, train train......he had not done much and was suffering for it the first couple weeks.

Thanks for reading,

Doda Man and Hike'n C. A. Bear ( Hiking Guide )

No comments:

Post a Comment