Thursday, May 14, 2009

Shenandoah Hiking Day 2


Another beautiful day in the Shenandoah National Park. Lots of dear on our drive up the Skyline to the dropoff point in light fog. The fog settles in the valleys like the soap suds I remember floating on the bathtub, wisping off in all directions on the slightest breeze. Hiked another 14 miles and ran into just about every hiker I saw yesterday. Interesting that they were all spaced out just about the same thoughout the day and in the same order that I met them yesterday. That would mean they all tent camped and are hiking about the same speed, around 2.5 mph. I ran into Spencer the Brit first, and he had an animated story of his bear encounter last night. Seems a bear came into his camp in the middle of the night and woke him when he brushed or pawed his tent. Spencer said he say bolt upright with heart racing to see if he had mistakenly left any food in the tent with him. He correctly hung his food in a tree, but a bear has a better nose by far than a bloodhound and love sweets. Well he discovered that he still had some trailmix in his pant pocket, but turned on his flashlight which scared the bear off. Seems there are no bears in Britan so this will be a story for the grandkids....

Passed the older couple next, then the kids and all the rest. Came upon JJ just before the end of my hike and he looked worse than yesterday. He asked how far to the next shelter at black rock. It was more than 8 miles but I told him just 4 or 5 as he looked so pitiful. He said he had to stop ever few hundred feet or so to rest, so he may not make it to Black rock and I will be suprised if he makes it to the other end of the park. The only interesting trail scenery today was the overlook at Black Rock Summit. Nice view and Hike'n Bear posed for the picture above.

Near the end of the hike my calf muscles started to cramp on the steep decents, so tommorrow I will take a day off, then start with a shorter distance on Friday and more rests. Last two days I only rested for picture shots and one 10 minute pack off break for food and a sit down. I am not tired or winded, but my legs seem to get tired on the downhills?

I found out today that the young girl and guy were not togther yesterday, she is hiking the entire AT by herself and just hikes with whomever and stays in shelters with hikers at night. Thats pretty gutsy for a 18 year old to go 2160 miles by herself! Today she was hiking with an older gent with a full beard. Also saw Santa again near the end today, he has a belly and flowing white bear, but a little bald on the top.

Had a dear encounter near Turks Gap, a young buck ran accross the forest and right up to me. Got my camera out and took some pictures from 6 feet away. He didn't run off until I put the camera away and started hiking again. Told him I was fresh out of deer biscuits! So maybe bow hunting is not so difficult after all, at least not here in the Park, even I could have killed this guy point blank.

Looking forward to a hot bath tonight to soak the legs, I was somewhat hobbled at the end. Not a better sight than when I picked out the glint of sunlight reflected off the orange turnsignal of that SUV in the Turks Gap Overlook parking area. The eyes and ears get keen in a short time when you are out on the trail for hours. I can hear , see and smell hikers and man made things quite a ways away. I am amazed that there is zero human litter here, the Potomac club either does a great job picking up, or the hikers here are much more trail freindly than down south in Georgia.


Happy Hiking


DoDa Man and Hike'n Bear ( Full name: Hike'n C. A. Bear ) Hiking Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment