Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Shenandoah Hike Day 6


Good weather again today, a little cool, but a long sleeved cotton shirt makes it just right. Starting on Hawksbill access trail that is suppossed to join the AT in about 500 feet. Well after one mile straight up, I realize that I am on an approach trail loop to Hawksbill Gap overlook and cabin, about three miles out of my way to the AT. But...it is a great trail and the overlooks are spectacular. The cabin is locked, so I proceed down the trail and find a marker that says the cabin is the highest point in the Shenandoah National Park, 4097 feet, so that is why the first mile was straight up, this is a park attraction access trail that just happens to intersect the AT farther on. I hike on and only pass Ellen of Little Words who grunts a hello to my cheery greeting again. Her look says It's you again? + I am miserable, don't sound so happy.


A pretty day on the trail, I am meeting Suz at the Big Meadows Wayside where there is a snack bar and trail store. I want to shop for a Shenandoah shirt if affordable. But once there all tee shirts are over $ 20, a bit much for me to advertise for the Park,

but maybe in Fort Royal I'll find a better deal.


About 10 miles today, nothing remarkable , not a bear to be seen, although I have seen plenty of Pseudo-Bears along the way. There was the rock-bear, the stump-bear, the log bear and the bear - butt when I came upon a hiker doing their doo-ty in the woods.


Do Da and Hike'n Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment