Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Shenandoah Day 8


Today I wanted to do a shorter hike, did not want to get out of bed and get going, so I only did 7 miles. Was a very quiet and peaceful morning hike. The trail leveled out from yesterday and rolled through the hills through green glades and meadows. I was able to keep up a good pace but kept slipping into daydreams and reverie. I purposely did not use my trekking poles and tried to make no noise to see if I could site a bear. Well, no luck, and there were not many animals to be seen at all, but lots of bees and bugs. Passed only one other hiker, also with white hair and beard and maybe older than Santa Claus.

We are near the end of the Shenandoah park now, nearing the 10 mile mark, so we have covered 95 miles so far. The AT leaves the park at the 10.4 mile road post marker and heads out of the part around Fort Royal so I will not follow it tommorrow. There is a 6 mile strenuous hike up the cliffs with three sets of waterfalls on overlook run trail, so I will do that. If the first set of falls is close enough, I'll bring Suz and Beau up for a looksie, if not, they get to look at the pictures. Going to stop at the visitors center for a souvenior Shenandoah shirt, this has been a great week of hiking!


Do Da and Hike'n Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment