Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Shenandoah Day 7


Nice long hike today, 14 miles but rougher terrain. Part of the trail went through Stoney Man Cliffs and that is a good description of this section, lots of rocks. There were enough granite rocks on the trail to make at least a thousand fireplaces. Lots of great views as the trail ran along the edge of cliffs and beneath the road overlooks on what I would call goat trails. About 6-8 inches wide, lined by rock faces on the mountain side. This terrain slows you down a lot because you cannot take a complete stride due to rock outcroppings, so you have to pick and choose your foot places, which gets pretty tiring going up and more so going down.

Met quite a few hikers, and passed Santa Claus once again. I recognized him from behind by his snow white hair and hiking gaiters. He has to be in his 70's or older, but not brazen enough to ask him his age. Maybe if I see him tommorrow. Lots of animals out today, notably deer and chipmunks. Another doe was on the trail munching some young plants and did not move at all as I walked by, not two feet from her.

Ran into Hal who was hiking with his mutt beagle Springer. Passed a couple of shelters, which are remarkable well kept here, with guess what? Granite fireplaces! The Potomac Hiking club does a great job keeping the trail up and the shelters well maintained.

The last of this hike from Mary's rock overlook is straight down over two miles, which would not be so bad, but it is the worst rock scrabble, so it slowed me down to about one mile per hour. I ussually hike 2.5 -3 mph, so this is frustratingly slow. My feet are getting sore from all the rocking over the sharp rocks and my trekking poles have saved me a few times on steep decents where my feet start to slide out from underneath.

Still a great hike. I have been so lucky as the weather has been perfect for hiking the past 7 days, cool tempertures, no rain and a high pressure blue sky.

Do da and Hike'n Bear

No comments:

Post a Comment